Vittorio “Vic” Giunco and his wife Carmella came from Genoa, Italy. They immigrated to America in search of a better life and to start a family. Eventually in the 1910′s they settled in Bradley Beach where they had two children, Rose and John.
Vittorio had tried several businesses including a fruit stand and later a candy shop, however neither business was successful long term.
Shortly after the repeal of prohibition in 1933, Vittorio opened a small bar called “Vic’s Tap Room” which was located on Main St in the center of town. Around 1940 business was going well so when an opportunity arose to purchase a larger piece of property on the south end of Bradley Beach, Vittorio acquired the property and moved the bar down the street to its present location.
After World War II, Vittorio Giunco’s son John saw more potential than just a bar and decided to add on to the building and make an Italian restaurant. So on March 17, 1947 Vic’s Bar & Restaurant opened its doors to the public.
Together Vittorio and John combined their efforts to make the Bar & Restaurant succeed. Vittorio continued to run the bar as John and his mother Carmella worked to create authentic Italian dishes. Their labors were successful and they were able to dazzle their customer’s senses and keep them coming back for more. John and Carmella’s most important creation, which American soldiers brought back a taste for after World War II was Pizza. Pizza was new to Americans but they were captured by it almost from the start.
Vittorio and John’s family devoted their lives to perfecting their recipes and working the business. Over the years the thin crust tomato pies and the signature Italian dishes they perfected helped the restaurant become one of the most popular restaurants at the Jersey Shore.
After Vittorio passed away in 1967 his son John Giunco carried on the restaurants founding traditions with the help of his son Vic and son-in-law Ed. John worked for many years expanding and building on what Vittorio and he had started. In 2000 the latest addition to the restaurant was an outdoor dining area. This patio was a welcomed addition by customers who wished to enjoy dining alfresco.
When John died in 2001 he passed the restaurant and the tradition on to his daughter and son-in-law Edward & Ava Dollive, who have been a part of the business for over 45 years. Today Ed & Ava’s children are all involved in managing the business and have become stewards of the family tradition.